Thursday, January 28, 2010

Post-Racial?

Chris Matthews said something very interesting to me, and probably others, last night after the Presidents State of the Union.

He said;

I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting; he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour.


To begin, I would like to say that I don't think for a moment that Matthews was trying to be racist or controversial. I think he believes Obama is this figure that transcends race, and thus is what Matthews believes is a post-racial figure.

I truly believe this stance is a noble thought, or even wishful thinking. But it is not up to the African American President of the United States to make us post racial, it is up to White America.

The sooner political pundits, and Americans alike, don't say things like "I forgot he was black" or feel the need to communicate such things, then maybe, we are in a post-racial situation. But until then, why don't we let our first African American President lead, instead of saddling him with yet another American problem to fix.

Chris Matthews in his own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment